Data Scientist, Derby
Porterbrook Leasing Company specialises in the leasing and asset management of passenger and freight railway rolling stock and associated equipment. Based in Derby with a corporate Head Office in London, the organisation is undertaking a period of transformational change as it responds to the changing landscape in rail and is taking an active lead in the industry in terms of innovation. The ability to maximise the advantages of digital services within the industry will be a game changer in terms of reliability and performance.
The overall objective of the role is to support Porterbrook in maintaining the value of company assets and to ensure that their customers are fully satisfied with the product they lease. This is a unique opportunity for a candidate with a strong background in data science and ideally engineering to develop innovative analytics solutions to improve fleets reliability and performance.
Digital Services utilises a variety of rolling stock and infrastructure data sources and have state-of-the-art capabilities to research and develop cutting edge products.
Working under the direction of the Principal Data Scientist, this role will support the delivery and development of the Porterbrook Digital Services Portfolio. Taking advantage of the Porterbrook unified data platform and work with the team to prototype and deploy analytics models to predict certain failures and estimate lifecycle of the assets. There will be close collaboration with research organisations and universities to develop innovative products contributing to digitalisation of the railway.
It is essential for the candidate to have experience in:
- Machine learning, Data Science, Statistics
- Deploying and testing models in Python/Apache Spark
- Cloud computing particularly Microsoft Azure
- Condition monitoring and developing predictive analysis for engineering applications
- Develop complex analytics for operational/engineering environments.
- Developing high impact visualisations and presenting the analytics to technical and non-technical audiences using products such as Power BI
- A relevant Masters or PhD degree in Computer Science, Engineering, and/or relevant certificates such as Microsoft Azure certification, Azure AI Fundamentals, Azure Data Scientist Associate
Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills are required as the role holder will work with a wide range of external suppliers/customers along with the internal teams across the Porterbrook business.
We are seeking the very best talent to join the team, and offer an excellent salary, along with bonus and benefits. The role is offered on a 12 month fixed term basis although there may be the opportunity to be made permanent at the end of the contract. The location is Derby but home working may also be an option.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a great organisation with excellent people and a road map for the future to grow and develop the business.
Porterbrook is a disability confident employer.